Computer users require safeguarding their work related or business critical data from various security threats like viruses and other malicious software programs. Several uncertain instances, such as power surges, improper system shutdown, and operating system errors may also cause data loss on your system. Here, you should try to determine the exact cause of the problem and then take appropriate steps to resolve the issue. To recover your lost, formatted, or deleted data in such situations, you need to go for data recovery through a reliable third-party utility.
For instance, while starting your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive the following error message on your screen:
“Unmountable Boot Volume”
The below mentioned reasons may be responsible for the above error message:
- The boot volume of your system is corrupt. Hence, it cannot be mounted.
- You have used a wrong cable wire for connecting the controller with the UDMA (Ultra DMA) drive.
- Faster UDMA modes are enabled due to incorrect BIOS settings.
This would stop you from accessing your valuable data stored in your system. You may use a valid backup file to restore all the lost or inaccessible data. However, if the backup is missing, take help of an efficient data recovery tool. First you need to follow the below mentioned resolution steps.
These steps will help you fix the problem-
- In case the boot drive is corrupt, follow the below given procedure:
◦ Restart the system using Windows XP installation disc.
◦ On the ‘Welcome to Setup’ screen, press ‘R’ to enter the Recovery Console.
◦ Choose the drive for recovery.
◦ When prompted, type in the administrator password of the system.
◦ Now run the ‘chkdsk/r’ command.
◦ Type ‘Exit’ to close the Recovery Console.
- If cable connector is causing the problem, try replacing the wrong wire with 80-wire UDMA cable.
- If the problem occurred due to incorrect BIOS settings, try loading the ‘Fail-Safe‘ settings nd then enabling the most frequently used options.
If the problem still persists, you should use competent data recovery software. These software embed advanced scanning algorithms to effectively scan and recover data from the corrupt drive. They are extremely safe and also perform selective file recovery based on file types.
Windows Data Recovery is a professional tool that recovers Windows files from any situation of data loss. The proficient recovery software recovers all the lost, deleted, or formatted data from FAT, NTFS, exFAT partitions.